How to Achieve a Dimensional Manicure at Home
Manicures are more visually striking when they have dimension. Many hear dimension and their minds immediately go to all the crazy nail art out there that no woman with a normal schedule has the time or the supplies to do. Of course, nail art is stunning but a professional looking manicure with depth and intensity is even more so. To achieve that, you need to make your own blend, add a touch of shimmer, paint, and you are done. The manicure below is a fun play on the gray and navy trend that is very hot this spring. Here’s how to do it.
What You’ll Need:
- Nail polish remover
- Nail clippers
- Emery board
- Bowl of warm water
- Cuticle pusher and snippers
- Cuticle oil
- Empty nail polish bottle
- 1 gray nail polish
- 1 navy nail polish
- Loose silver shimmer pigment
- Base coat
- Top coat
How to Do It
- Remove any existing polish from your nails. You have to start with clean nails.
- Trim and shape your nails with the nail clippers and emery board. Choose any shape you like.
- Soak your hands in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes and relax.
- Use the cuticle pusher and snippers to shape the cuticles. Do so gently to avoid damaging them.
- Apply cuticle oil when you’re done. Really massage it in to moisturize.
- Mix your nail polish blend in the empty bottle by combining two parts gray polish (this is your base) with one-part navy polish.
- Add a very small amount of loose silver pigment. This will give the nail polish that 3D effect.
- Close the bottle, shake, and set aside.
- Gently wipe the nails clean with nail polish remover again but avoid making contact with the cuticles (they should stay moisturized). Any cuticle oil on the nail will prevent the nail polish from properly adhering.
- Apply your base coat. Use any brand you like. Leave to dry.
- Shake your nail polish blend once again and paint your nails using even strokes. Do two layers of color and allow layers to dry between coats.
- Apply your top coat.
- Allow nails to fully dry.
Now take a look at your nails! Don’t they look expensive? Enjoy and don’t hesitant to experiment. All you need are two nail colors and some shimmer to achieve a dimensional manicure that looks like it cost a pretty penny.